What to do if you smell gas
I smell gas!
1. No flames or sparks! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or fire.
2. Leave the area immediately! Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
3. Shut off the gas! Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank, if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
4. Report the leak! From a neighbor's home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call 911 and then call your propane retailer right away.
5. Do not return to the building or the area! Do not return until your propane retailer or the fire department have determined it is safe to do so.
6. Get your system checked! Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, your propane retailer or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.
Wondering what to do if you don't know what propane smells like? Ask White Mountain Oil & Propane for a copy of the Propane Education and Research Council's scratch and sniff panphlet to help you recognize the odorant added to propane.